‘JAG’ Park was designed by F.L. Comstock and built by E.A. Satterlee for $3,088 on six acres of land leased from C.W. Judson on Harrison Street, midway between Gloversville and Johnstown, NY. Sam Lucas, a Gloversville native, built the actual baseball diamond and later was asked to take charge of the NY Giant’s Polo Grounds and also built the grounds at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh in 1909.
Historic Baseball at Legends Park
at Parkhurst Field
For Over 100 Years
JAG’ Park once featured a grandstand which accommodated 1500 spectators and its location was convenient for many of the world’s premier teams to play barnstorming exhibition games….
The Boston (Red Sox) Americans played a game here en route to Detroit on July 5, 1907 with their player/manager, Hall of Fame pitcher Cy Young.
On July 24, 1907, Hall of Fame great Honus Wagner and the Pittsburgh (Pirates) Nationals played on these grounds.
Joe Birmingham, a player on the JAG’s 1906 team, went on to play for the Cleveland (Indians) Naps and eventually managed “Shoeless” Joe Jackson as part of that team.